Solving Investment Challenges
Swan CIO Summit Series
Another Swan CIO Summit is successfully in the books. The third annual conference, hosted at Chicago’s Gray Hotel on May 15th, was our biggest yet. The 2018 CIO Summit brought together experienced, high-level financial professionals from consulting, wealth management, foundations, endowments, and institutional money management background to discuss the major issues impacting all investors.
- Renowned speakers Meb Faber and John Mauldin each hosted sessions discussing their outlooks for the capital markets and the challenges facing investors. Key take-away: buckle up.
- Focusing upon 2018’s markets, Swan’s Chris Hausman provided insight into the return of volatility after a very docile 2017.
- Morningstar’s Tayfun Icten and Joe Cusick of the Options Industry Council joined Swan’s Micah Wakefield and Chris Hausman to explore the rapidly-growing category of options-based strategies. With so many new entrants offering a wide variety of strategies and a few well-publicized “blow-ups” earlier in the year it is absolutely essential to “Know What You Own.”
- J. Gibson “Gib” Watson, III, industry consultant, hosted two panels reflecting first upon the challenges facing endowments, foundations and pensions with Sam Gallo, CIO of the University of Maryland Foundation and Johnathan Fisher, CIO of Eqis Capital Management. Then Gib gathered insights from the wealth management industry from Bill Harding, CIO of Jackson National Asset Management, Zoe Brunson, SVP at AssetMark, and Paul Courtney, Co-Founder of SpringTide Partners.
- Randy Swan and Rob Swan talked about the history of Swan Global Investments, and how the Defined Risk Strategy could potentially address some of the myriad problems raised throughout the day.
- Finally, Marc Odo led an idea-sharing session on the different roles the Defined Risk Strategy may serve in an existing portfolio. Marc was then joined by Micah Wakefield and Chris Hausman to brainstorm how Swan’s expertise in options could be used to create customized, bespoke investment solutions for unique situations.
Mother nature made life difficult for many of our attendees, as Chicago’s notorious spring thunderstorms caused many flight delays. Still, nearly everyone who RSVP’d was able to power through, and for that we are quite grateful. We’d also like to express our thanks to our many partners who helped make the event a success.
Many of the ideas shared and themes explored will be taken on the road as part of our traveling “10th Box” series. Financial advisors should contact their regional sales director to see if you’ll have the chance to meet Randy Swan or Rob Swan in your city.
Alternatively, we hope to see you next year at Swan’s fourth annual CIO Summit.
About the Author: David Lovell, Director of Marketing, is responsible for Swan’s marketing and engagement initiatives. This includes development and execution of marketing programs for Swan’s websites, content, communications, events, and media. David began his career in the financial industry at Mass Mutual. David currently holds a Series 65 license.
Important Notes and Disclosures:
Swan Global Investments, LLC is a SEC registered Investment Advisor that specializes in managing money using the proprietary Defined Risk Strategy (“DRS”). SEC registration does not denote any special training or qualification conferred by the SEC. Swan Global Investments offers and manages the Defined Risk Strategy for investors including individuals, institutions and other investment advisor firms. All Swan products utilize the Swan DRS but may vary by asset class, regulatory offering type, etc. Accordingly, all Swan DRS product offerings will have different performance results and comparing results among the Swan products and composites may be of limited use. Swan claims compliance with the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®). Any historical numbers, awards and recognitions presented are based on the performance of a (GIPS®) composite, Swan’s DRS Select Composite, which includes nonqualified discretionary accounts invested in since inception, July 1997 and are net of fees and expenses. All data used herein; including the statistical information, verification and performance reports are available upon request. The S&P 500 Index is a market cap weighted index of 500 widely held stocks often used as a proxy for the overall U.S. equity market. Indexes are unmanaged and have no fees or expenses. An investment cannot be made directly in an index. Swan’s investments may consist of securities which vary significantly from those in the benchmark indexes listed above and performance calculation methods may not be entirely comparable. Accordingly, comparing results shown to those of such indexes may be of limited use. The adviser’s dependence on its DRS process and judgments about the attractiveness, value and potential appreciation of particular ETFs and options in which the adviser invests or writes may prove to be incorrect and may not produce the desired results. There is no guarantee any investment or the DRS will meet its objectives. All investments involve the risk of potential investment losses as well as the potential for investment gains. Prior performance is not a guarantee of future results and there can be no assurance, and investors should not assume, that future performance will be comparable to past performance. Further information is available upon request by contacting the company directly at 970.382.8901 or visit swanglobalinvestments.com. 225-SGI-060118