Solving Investment Challenges
Swan CIO Summit Series
We are happy to report that the inaugural Swan CIO Summit was a resounding success. Hosted at the elegant Condado Vanderbilt Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the summit brought together over 30 firms and 60 investment professionals from diverse backgrounds for two days of thought-provoking discussion and interaction
Conceived as an intellectual event, the agenda included:
- A lively panel discussion about the evolution of the option marketplace and how to use options to define and manage risk featuring Ben Londergan (Convergex), David Beth (WallachBeth), and Frank Tirado (Options Industry Council).
- Insight into the past, present, and future of Swan Global Investments by President and Founder Randy Swan.
- Thoughts on the current state of the markets and where opportunities lie from Sam Stovall of S&P Capital IQ.
- The advantages of equal-weighting sectors by Jared Rowley of State Street Global Advisors.
- A keynote address by Jose Perez-Riera, Former Secretary of Economic Development and Commerce of Puerto Rico, on how Puerto Rico is reshaping their economy to be an offshore service hub.
- A thought-provoking panel on the use of alternatives in portfolio construction, featuring John Thompson (Head of Investment Solutions at AON Hewitt), Don Robinson (CEO and Co-CIO of Palladiem), and Kevin Malone (President and CIO of Greenrock Research).
- A sobering look at the wide range of challenges facing investors as they enter retirement from Swan’s Marc Odo.
- Building upon the retirement theme, Joe Gordon (Gordon Asset Management) shared the history of and unique opportunities surrounding a collective investment trust (CIT) solution developed jointly by Swan and GAM.
- Paul Riccardella (MSCI) discussed how indexing has evolved to become one of the dominant forms of investing today and various index investing strategies.
- Turning to the global stage, John Hyland (BlackRock) provided perspective on the changing global landscape and selection of global asset managers.
- Swan’s Micah Wakefield covered his recent research white paper titled ‘Math Matters’ detailing the importance of often overlooked mathematical principles that drive the success or failure of an investment plan.
- Last but not least, portfolio managers Randy Swan and Rob Swan held an open session with the audience, answering questions and providing insight to the management of the Defined Risk Strategy.
One facet of Swan Global Investment’s overall strategy is to be an intellectual leader in developing next-generation investment solutions. The Swan CIO Summit was designed to showcase thought leadership from both Swan and the wider industry. Many participants at the summit expressed an appreciation that the agenda was not a crude “product pitch”, but rather a collaborative, thought-provoking two days.
While the conference in Puerto Rico was the inaugural Summit, it will not be the last. It is our intention to have one based on the mainland next year. In addition, we had several of our sessions professionally recorded, and videos of the event are currently in post-production. Until then, please visit the Resources section of our website and our blog for a rich pool of content grounded in our desire to address investment challenges.
Swan would like to thank BlackRock, MSCI, S&P Dow Jones, State Street Global Advisors, Northern Lights Distributors and WallachBeth, as well as all speakers and attendees, for their participation in making the Swan CIO Summit a resounding success.
About the Author: David Lovell, Director of Marketing, is responsible for Swan’s marketing and engagement initiatives. This includes development and execution of marketing programs for Swan’s websites, content, communications, events, and media. David began his career in the financial industry at Mass Mutual, where he held life, health and disabilities insurance licenses, as well as, Series 6 and 63 licenses. David currently holds a Series 65 license.
Important Notes and Disclosures:
Swan Global Investments, LLC is a SEC registered Investment Advisor that specializes in managing money using the proprietary Defined Risk Strategy (“DRS”). SEC registration does not denote any special training or qualification conferred by the SEC. Swan offers and manages the DRS for investors including individuals, institutions and other investment advisor firms. Any historical numbers, awards and recognitions presented are based on the performance of a (GIPS®) composite, Swan’s DRS Select Composite, which includes non-qualified discretionary accounts invested in since inception, July 1997, and are net of fees and expenses. Swan claims compliance with the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®). All data used herein; including the statistical information, verification and performance reports are available upon request. The S&P 500 Index is a market cap weighted index of 500 widely held stocks often used as a proxy for the overall U.S. equity market. Indexes are unmanaged and have no fees or expenses. An investment cannot be made directly in an index. Swan’s investments may consist of securities which vary significantly from those in the benchmark indexes listed above and performance calculation methods may not be entirely comparable. Accordingly, comparing results shown to those of such indexes may be of limited use. The adviser’s dependence on its DRS process and judgments about the attractiveness, value and potential appreciation of particular ETFs and options in which the adviser invests or writes may prove to be incorrect and may not produce the desired results. There is no guarantee any investment or the DRS will meet its objectives. All investments involve the risk of potential investment losses as well as the potential for investment gains. Prior performance is not a guarantee of future results and there can be no assurance, and investors should not assume, that future performance will be comparable to past performance. All investment strategies have the potential for profit or loss. Further information is available upon request by contacting the company directly at 970–382-8901 or www.swanglobalinvestments.com. 071-SGI-041216